What’s On During Maple in the County ?
Trying to plan your weekend for Maple in the County, March 28-29? We have a comprehensive list to help you plan your weekend so you can see and do as much as possible. Grab a map, don’t forget to wear your boots, and get ready for fun and maple goodness!
by Amy White
- Lake Lodge No. 215 Masons 43rd annual Pancake Breakfast at Sweetwater Cabin/Hubbs Sugarbush with proceeds benefiting local charities (9am-2pm, both days)
- Enjoy a pancake and sausage breakfast (with ‘serve yourself’ maple syrup) all day long at Fosterholm Farms
- The Picton Fire Department is teaming up with Loha Farms for a breakfast of pancakes, sausage and bacon benefiting the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital (8am-4pm, both days)
- Visit Waupoos Estates & Winery for breakfast (and more) in the restaurant and continue with a stroll to the sugarbush (8am-4pm, both days)
- Breakfast of pancakes and sausage with a drink served alongside entertainment all day at Walt’s Sugar Shack. Walt’s will be accepting food and cash donations for the Picton and Wellington Food Banks. (8am-5pm, both days).
- Strictly Maple is serving a breakfast of pancakes and sausage (food is served from 8am-1pm, both days. Sugarbush is open from 8am-5pm Saturday and 8am-4pm Sunday)
- Have breakfast at Three Dog Winery & Sugarbush, where they will be serving up waffles (11am-5pm, both days)
- County Shores, the newest sugar shack to join the festivities, will have southern smoked BBQ ribs, beef brisket sandwiches, pulled pork tacos, and smoked mac ‘n’ cheese, all served with homemade maple BBQ sauce from local food truck, Smokin’ Rednex BBQ Co.
- Nyman Farms is serving up maple pork, Jersey beef burgers on a bun or homemade chicken noodle soup
- Sugarbush Vineyards will be offering homemade soup with a fresh roll for lunch
- Enjoy baked beans and homemade bread at Walt’s Sugar Shack
- Try maple-flavoured pulled pork on a bun at Roblin’s Maple Syrup
- Fosterholm Farms has maple candy, maple butter and baked goods
- Maple taffy on a stick, maple kettle corn, maple butter, maple leaves, maple jelly, and granulated maple sugar are the treats for sale at Vader’s Maple Syrup
- Come and try a ‘Jersey Tail’ from Nyman Farms: it’s a fried pastry – a la Beaver Tails, but named in honour of Nyman’s cows – covered in maple sugar
- Enjoy maple taffy on snow, hot chocolate and maple treats at Sugarbush Vineyards
- Try taffy on snow and maple cotton candy at Waupoos Estates Winery & Sugarbush
- Walt’s Sugar Shack is offering ‘Walt Drops,’ a deep-fried maple cookie!, plus taffy on snow and cotton candy floss
- Try maple butter on an English muffin with beautiful views of Long Reach at Roblin’s Maple Syrup
Fun for the whole family:
- Wagon rides and a lumberjack show will be featured at Sweetwater Cabin/Hubbs Sugarbush
- Maple trivia and antique and new maple equipment will be on display at Vader’s Maple Syrup
- Play the day away in Nyman Farms’ sandbox
- View a piece of county automotive history in Laurence Burford’s former WWII Canadian Military Pattern Vehicle, now converted to a tow truck and snow plow, at County Shores.
- Take a self-guided tour of the sugarbush and try your hand at maple trivia at Sugarbush Vineyards
- Face painting, wagon rides and entertainment are on tap at Walt’s Sugar Shack
- Three Dog Winery & Sugarbush is hosting a children’s maple marshmallow roast
- For a donation at Heal with Horses, make a maple marshmallow s’more by the bonfire
- Visit the Regent Theatre for Whattam’s Family Free Movie
Farm animal fun:
- Play with the chickens, pigs, baby jersey calves, goats and new lambs at Nyman Farms
- Enjoy fun in the farmyard with the ducks, chickens, goats, and pigs at Loha Farms
- Take a walk on the wild side at the petting zoo at Waupoos Estates Winery & Sugarbush
- Get up close to the animals at Walt’s Sugar Shack’s petting zoo
- Grab farm fresh eggs at County Shores, along with other local vendors and products, in the campground store.
Enjoy a stroll through the sugarbush:
- Take a self-guided tour through Sweetwater Cabin/Hubbs Sugarbush
- Visit Fosterholm Farms for a walk through their sugarbush, containing more than 7,500 taps!
- Walk through the sugarbush overlooking East Lake at Vader’s Maple Syrup
- Walk the 2.5 km loop at Sugarbush VIneyards
- Weather permitting, there will be two trails to explore at Walt’s Sugar Shack, where the sugarbush has more than 1,000 taps
- Take a 4km walk to the sugarbush at Three Dog Winery & Sugarbush
- Amble along on a self-guided tour at Justin’s Maple Syrup
Where to sample local beer/wine/cider…
- Mulled wine and wine tasting at Sugarbush Vineyards
- Complimentary wine and cider tastings at Waupoos Estate Winery & Sugarbush
- Wine tastings at Three Dog Winery & Sugarbush (complimentary with a donation to the Sophiasburgh Recreation Committee)
- Best-ever-butter tarts at Fosterholm Farms
- Maple butter on an English muffin at Roblin’s Maple Syrup
- Their famous maple kettle corn at Vader’s Maple Syrup
- “Jersey Tails” (a fried pastry treat covered in maple sugar) at Nyman Farms
- Maple-fudge s’mores at Sugarbush Vineyards
- Popcorn with maple drizzle at Waupoos Estate Winery & Sugarbush
- Maple candy floss at Walt’s Sugar Shack
Bring your dogs to:
- Meet Bakkus, Rieki, and Jersey, Golden Retrievers and the ‘three dogs’ of Three Dogs Winery and Sugarbush
- Sugarbush Vineyards – dog-friendly and with pups of their own
- Please note that many sugarbushes ask that dogs stay home, due to the combination of crowds, food and lots of little kids. Phone to inquire if your dog is welcome at the sugarbush you’d like to visit.
The sugarbushes aren’t the only places having fun during Maple in the County — The County’s restaurants, wineries, breweries, farms, distillery, art galleries, and shops are celebrating in sweet style with maple-themed menus, activities, and promotions to enjoy as we celebrate Maple in the County.
Head over to Maple in the County to see how The County businesses are participating in the festivities!