50+ Patios to Soak up the Sun in Prince Edward County 🌞
When the weather’s fine, we all just want to be outside. Here’s how to savour every drop of sunshine during your trip to Prince Edward County, with 50+ patios, most pairing food with wine, cider, beer and more.
Written by Karen Palmer
1. The Mill PEC puts you on the edge of the pond, with a patio overlooking water that once flowed into the mill, connecting Consecon Lake with Lake Ontario.
2. Hillier Creek Estates has a patio off its reconstructed Loyalist barn, surrounded by long rows of lush mature vineyards. Taste their pinot noir, gamay, chardonnay, riesling, vidal or rose wines while eating wood-fired pizza.
3. Snack on local cheese curds while you enjoy the scenery and serenity from the patio at Stanners Vineyards with pinot available by the glass.
4. Casa-Dea Estates Winery is home to La Pergola Restaurant & Patio, which overlooks the main vineyard and serves charcuterie & cheese boards, tartines, Sicilian meatballs, grilled panini, pizzas, and gluten-free options.
5. Norman Hardie serves wood-fired pizza on its patio – pizza that’s almost as notable as the wines!
6. Hinterland Wine Company has tables off the tasting room that look out over the vines. Bar snacks and a lunch menu are served until 5 p.m.
8. The big purple barn and it’s patio at Closson Chase leads onto a garden perfect for enjoying the weather.
9. In summer months, Sugarbush Vineyards serves gourmet grilled cheese and wine by the glass on Thursdays and Fridays on their patio.
10. Trail Estate Winery has a stone slab, sunshade and picnic tables outside its modern tasting room, overlooking its vineyard.
11. Sip and soak up the view on the wrap-around porch at Lacey Estates Winery along Closson Road.
13. By Chadsey’s Cairns has a breezy deck overlooking its vineyard, one of the quieter patio options in The County.
15. It may be small, but Enid Grace’s leafy patio is a mighty fine place to enjoy her cafe’s pastries, sandwiches and breakfast treats – get there early!
16. The Drake Devonshire is one of the few places where you can be right on the lake. The patio sits right on the beach, and the breeze off the lake has never felt so good.
18. TerraCello Winery serves authentic Italian wood-fired pizza on its patio, nestled among their vines. The venue often features live music.
19. Kinsip has christened its patio “the Breezeway” and it’s not hard to see why. The blessedly windy spot extends to two massive trees, providing much-needed shade. With the introduction of gourmet ‘dogs’ and a cocktail menu, you’ll be hard-pressed to tear yourself away.
20. The walls inside Seedlings are covered with plants. Nature provides the decor on their outdoor patio, with the bold yellow chairs providing perfect contrast to the deep green of Angeline Inn’s courtyard.
21. Agrarian Bistro & Speakeasy puts you right on the Main Street of Bloomfield, with a great couple sofas as a chill-out space.
22. Craving a sandwich, soup and sunshine? Saylor House Cafe has a lush garden patio backing on to farmers’ fields.
24. County Yum Club has a large patio with festive bunting – a great place to snack on their infamous shwarma poutine.
25. In the heart of Picton, 555 Brewing Co has the perfect people watching spot on their dog-friendly patio, where they serve cold beers and fresh wood-fired pizzas.
26. Coaches Pub & Grill House takes you off the main street, in their leafy back patio.
27. In the heat of the day, the Bean Counter sits on the right side of the street. Its shady patio is a great spot for people watching, and enjoying a light lunch, coffee or midday treat.
28. If you’re seeking some shade, head just off main street to The Acoustic Grill patio for great tunes, local wines, craft beer, and some of the best poutine in The County!
29. Snack on your spicy tuna roll from the breezy comfort of the Charm Sushi patio out the back of their restaurant.
30. Eating outside was once the only way at the Crepe Escape – their patio is a terrific place to step away from the main street madness and enjoy a sweet or savoury crepe. Vegan and vegetarian options available.
31. The Vic Cafe has wisely spilled over into a licensed patio space outside the library, with cheery yellow chairs and a full menu bursting with choices whether carnivore, omnivore or vegan.
32. The County Canteen has extended its patio to include more space to sip on local craft beers – the extended patio even creates two parking spaces for motorcycles.
33. Prince Eddy’s Brewing Company not only has a patio, they’ve got a concert stage and beach volleyball court. Go to see and be seen.
34. Angry Bird’s is a rotisserie chicken joint opposite Crystal Palace and its patio is a popular spot with families who have just left the playground across the street.
35. Parsons Brewing Company has a breezy patio that looks out onto their mammoth play yard, making it the perfect place to sample the Mexican food and sip a flight of handcrafted brews while the kids run wild.
36. Blumen’s patio is bloomin’ – see what we did there? – with a gazebo and outside eating space that gives the sense of dining in a private garden.
37. The View is another hidden gem, nestled within the Picton Golf Course, they’re open to the public daily for breakfast, lunch or dinner, with a panoramic view of Picton Bay.
38. Prince Edward County Yacht Club has a patio on the water – what else would you expect? Have a sundowner watching the boats bob in Picton harbour.
39. Even if you weren’t able to snag a room, there’s still a chance to drink #roséallday like a veritable Instagram star on The June’s patio.
40. The patio at Isaiah Tubbs Resort overlooks the water, and with its sky-high windows, even diners who are inside can feel like they’re on the lake.
42. Three Dog Winery defines laid back, with Adirondack chairs, live tunes, and wood-fired pizzas topped with tomatoes and basil straight from their garden.
43. The Miller House Cafe & Brasserie is a contender for The County’s best patio, set at Lake on the Mountain, overlooking the Glenora Ferry route. The breeze is grand, the charcuterie is amazing and the bread… Don’t get me started on the bread.
44. The patio at the Waupoos Market, Pub & Eatery gets you just close enough to feel the breeze off the lake, on a shaded patio where you can enjoy fresh fish sandwiches, burgers, wings and local beers and wine and stock up on Cressy mustard too. The deep-friend pickles are the best!
45. Clafeld Cider House & Market has a patio where visitors can enjoy picnic items from inside the market before exploring the farm and petting zoo further up the hill.
46. County Cider Company has arguably the best patio view in The County – their dog-friendly space has a pizza oven and makes you feel like you’re perched in among the vines looking out onto Lake Ontario.
47. The patio at the Waupoos Estate Winery is an under-rated gem. The restaurant sits amongst the vines, with a killer view of Lake Ontario. Or have a relaxed drink at the barn board bar – try wine, cider or local craft beer, they even let you take your drink down to the dock.
48. Fifth Town Artisan Cheese Co. has an airy patio space to the side of its modern facility where cheeses can be nibbled on a warm day.
49. Cape Vineyards has a shady stone patio surrounded by green, with views of the vineyards, Lake Ontario, and their very adorable sheep. Well worth the drive!
50. Devil’s Wishbone Winery has a shady stone terrace with easy Adirondack chairs and a view over the Bay of Quinte. Bring your own picnic and enjoy a glass or bottle of wine with it.
Coming Soon: North Docks in Wellington will expand your options for lakeside eating – they’re promising “90s slow jam brunches” and we can’t wait for them to open the doors!